Through generous donations from the community, Main Street Hartsville has established a Sign & Paint Grant Program. The purpose of the program is to provide grant funding to be used by businesses within the central business district for the replacement of exterior signage and repainting of building exteriors. For purposes of this grant program, the central business district is between Home and Carolina Avenues, and between Fourth and Sixth streets.
Main Street Hartsville will provide up to 60% of the cost of removing and/or installing an approved sign up to a maximum of $1,000. Main Street Hartsville will provide up to 60% of the cost of exterior painting.
What is encouraged
- Replacement of wall-mounted signage with projecting signage (see attached photos).
- Replacement of several advertising signs at one location with a single advertising sign.
- Signs designed by a sign professional.
- Repainting of exterior buildings which show paint chipping.
What will not be funded
- Purchase of portable signs.
- Signs that do not conform to the City’s sign regulations, and which have not been approved
by the City of Hartsville’s Architectural Review Board (ARB). Contact the City of Hartsville
Business Navigator for more information.
- Signs and painting for businesses without current City of Hartsville business licenses.
- Interior painting.
- Interior signage.
How to submit a funding request
- Consult with a sign professional to design the sign that you would like to install.
- If desired, consult with the City of Hartsville’s Business Navigator about whether your sign will meet regulations and how it may be presented to the ARB.
- Complete the Facade Grant Application. Application materials can be submitted to Main Street Hartsville Executive Director Suzy Moyd in person at 106 E. Carolina Ave., by email at email@example.com, or by mail at P.O. Drawer 2497, Hartsville, SC 29551. If you lease the space where your business is located you must submit a letter from the building’s owner stating that he or she consents to the submission of the funding request and, if funded, approves of the installation of the new sign.
Upon receiving your request, Main Street Hartsville will:
- Confirm with staff at the Business Navigator that the proposed signage and painting complies with City regulations and evaluate the application.
- Determine whether grant funding is available for the application.
- Main Street Hartsville may deny a sign grant or paint grant application that does not make recommended changes to their sign after initial review. Every effort will be made by Main Street Hartsville to work with the applicants so that an incentive can be granted.
- If your funding request is approved you will be notified of such approval and asked to complete City of Hartsville’s Sign/Awning Permit application at hartsvillesc.gov/forms. You must also receive approval from the City’s ARB before work may begin. Please remember that this grant program is a reimbursement program, which means that Main Street Hartsville will not disburse the grant payment to you until you provide proof that the sign company and/or paint company, as well as any other contractors working on the project, have been paid in full by you. All reimbursement checks will be paid to the applicant listed.